Clinical Assistant, Float (Methuen MA and Londonderry NH Satellites)
Company: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Posted on: June 1, 2021
The Clinical Assistant is responsible for direct care provided
to patients and for contributing to efficient operations in the
patient care environment. Direct patient care activities include,
but are not limited to, obtaining vital signs, meeting the comfort
needs of patients, drawing and collecting blood & other samples and
assisting nursing/medical staff in performing invasive procedures,
such as bone marrow aspirates. Indirect patient care activities
include those that support clinic operations such as ordering and
stocking clinical supplies and patient education materials,
cleaning patient care areas and infusion room, transporting
patients and specimens as needed, and monitoring the environment of
The Satellite Float Clinical Assistant will float to cover
patient care needs at the Northern DFCI Satellites (Londonderry NH
and Methuen MA).
This position is eligible for mileage reimbursement based on
policy, and also eligible for a float pay premium.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following responsibilities apply to all levels within the
job family at various levels of complexity:
Clinical Assistant I and Clinical Assistant II
- Greets patients, families, and colleagues promptly in a
welcoming and courteous manner. Responds promptly and courteously
to requests for assistance from others.
- Ensures proper patient identification by verbally and visually
confirming patients' two identifiers and maintains patient safety,
privacy, confidentiality and follows guidelines under HIPAA.
- Obtains and records vital signs, pain screens, weights and
heights accurately into the medical record (Epic). Reports changes
and/or abnormalities in vital signs; findings that are outside of
defined parameters; and changes in patient's conditions to the
nursing/medical staff in a timely manner.
- Obtains specimens (urine, stool, sputum, etc.) and ensures
accurate labeling in presence of patient, using two unique patient
identifiers. Instructs patients/family members in collecting
- Performs phlebotomy and EKG as applicable and is competent in
the two-patient identifier practice.
- May precept with specific training.
- Assists with unit specific procedural needs as applicable.
- Transports patients, medical records, specimens, blood
components, equipment and supplies in accordance with Institute
- Ensures that all patients on schedule are accounted for and
communicate with providers/patients and colleagues as to
approximate wait times.
- May be required to assist with research specific patient data
entry, as applicable.
- Assures that all clinical areas have an adequate stock of
medical supplies, equipment, and forms.
- Manages room assignments in order to maintain patient flow.
Ability to strategize the day's workload and make recommendations
- Assist with medical record preparation.
- Properly cleans and maintains equipment and patient care
- Safely manages hazards of biomedical waste and chemotherapy
- Maintains a working knowledge of current computer systems used
in clinical areas.
- Utilizes Epic to identify patients that require infection
control precautions and take appropriate steps accordingly
- Understands and utilizes the telephone/pager systems, including
text paging staff, call system and emergency response system.
- Provides proactive instruction and time expectations to patient
- Communicates patient and family status difficulties and
concerns to appropriate staff.
- Works collaboratively with leadership to determine repair needs
of equipment and/or future equipment needs of the unit.
- Attends mandatory training and education sessions, completes
mandatory annual competency assessments and follows Institute
- Accepts additional responsibilities based on the changing needs
of patients, families, staff and unit.
- Recognizes and responds to emergency situations appropriately.
Maintains BLS certification.
- Monitors the environment of care with attention to patient
safety. Assures compliance with regulatory agency standards.
Regular travel required to all DFCI satellite locations.
Reliable transportation required.
Schedule will be posted in advance but could be subject to
sudden change based on operating needs of units.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Clinical Assistant I
- High School Diploma or GED required; college coursework
- Completion of an accredited medical assistant program or
certified CNA with 3 or more years of relevant experience.
Phlebotomy certification is also preferred. In some cases, Nurse
Students in an accredited Bachelor's program with at least 2
completed clinical rotations may be considered. (UPDATED on
- Experience preferred, but not required.
- Applies Institute policies and procedures to resolve routine
issues. Works on problems of limited scope. Builds stable working
Clinical Assistant II
- In addition to the minimum qualifications of a Clinical
Assistant I, typically requires 2-3 years of equivalent experience
in a medical setting.
- Developing technical expertise, applies Institute policies and
procedures to resolve a variety of issues. Works on problems of
moderate scope where analysis of situations or data requires a
review of a variety of factors.
- Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to
determine appropriate action. Builds productive internal/external
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Clinical Assistant I and II
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal
- Self-starter with strong team player abilities
- Ability to work as an effective member of an interdisciplinary
- Ability to function in a busy work setting with patients with
- Strong analytical skills, written skills, technical skills,
problem-solving skills, attention to details, ability to balance
- Ability to be organized in a fast-paced environment, prioritize
and meet pre-determined deadlines.
- Demonstrates respectful and courteous behavior toward peers,
co-workers, visitors and management.
- Demonstrates understanding of special needs and behaviors of
age groups of the population served: young adult to geriatric.
Keywords: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Methuen , Clinical Assistant, Float (Methuen MA and Londonderry NH Satellites), Other , Methuen, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!